As an employer, apprenticeships allow you to
enhance your workforce and introduce a fresh perspective to your business.

 

Apprentices are ambitious and are keen to learn and offer you the opportunity to strengthen and diversify your workforce providing a future talent pipeline tailored to business needs. They bring enthusiasm and a fresh perspective, so it is not surprising to hear that 9 out of 10 employers say that their business is more productive.

As an employer you can train apprentices and give them job specific skills, helping them to fit the ethos of your business. Working alongside existing employees is a great way to transfer years of industry knowledge, moulding your new recruits into potential leaders and managers of the future.

Did you know?
There are over 1500 apprenticeship occupations across 170 industries.

An increased number of Higher and Degree apprenticeships will be being started this year, meaning that there has never been a better time for businesses to tap into this higher-level technical skill base.

East Sussex College already works with over 2,500 regional and national employers to help apprentices find placements and help your business grow.

 
 

Employer Key Facts– Apprenticeships

Sussex Skills Solutions want to make sure we can provide your company and employee with the best learning experience possible. To do this we have highlighted below some key facts and obligations that you should be aware of when training a member of staff via an apprenticeship scheme.

  • Ideally offer a minimum of 30 hrs employment per week (college release or workplace learning is included in employment hrs). If the employed hours are less than this, the duration of your employee’s apprenticeship will be extended.

  • Provide a contract of employment that runs for the duration of the apprenticeship. Your apprentice should be aware of the details of their employment including but not limited to their pay, paid holiday entitlement and working hours.

  • If your apprentice is under 18, the maximum amount of hours per week they can work is 40, with a shift lasting no longer than 8 hours and a rest break of 12 consecutive hours (usually the break between finishing work one day and starting work the next).

  • Pay your apprentice no less than the Apprentice National Minimum Wage (please refer to your training provider) however most employers pay more.

  • If your apprentice is 19, or turns 19 during the second year of an apprenticeship, you must pay the National Minimum Wage relative to their age.

  • If an apprentice is under the age of 25 you will not be required to pay secondary Class 1 (employer) National Insurance Contributions (NIC) on earnings up to the Upper Earnings Limit (currently £40,000).

  • Your business must have valid Employer Liability Insurance and provide evidence of this to your training provider prior to your employee being signed up to their apprenticeship

  • If you employ a 16 – 18 year old apprentice, you will be eligible for a £1000 incentive payment. This is paid in two instalments, the first approximately 4 months after the apprentice is signed up and the second after 12 months, providing the apprentice is still with you.

  • If you employ a 16-18 year old and your business has fewer than 50 employees, training is fully funded by the Government. If you have more than 50 employees, or your apprentice is aged 19+ your company will be required to contribute 5% of the apprenticeship delivery cost with the Government funding the remaining 95%. If your company has an annual payroll over £3m it will not qualify for any funding.

  • All apprenticeships include English and Maths (and in some cases ICT), which your apprentice has to work towards alongside their apprenticeship unless they have proof of relevant exemption qualifications.

  • Every apprentice has to spend 20% of their time completing ‘Off the Job Training’ and keeping a record. This doesn’t necessarily mean that they’re away from their place of work, it’s about doing things that increase their knowledge, skills and behaviours that relate to their job and apprenticeship e.g. shadowing, mentoring, on or off-site training, college attendance, research, webinars, on-line training, portfolio work. Required English, Maths and ICT (if applicable) do not contribute towards ‘Off the Job Training’.

  • The majority of apprenticeship programmes requires your employee to complete an externally assessed End Point Assessment (EPA). In the unfortunate event that your employee fails their apprenticeship EPA your company will be responsible for any resit cost priced at 20% of the total funding amount.

For further information, advice and guidance please contact us.